top of page


Club History

Credit: Dick Dwyer, Paul Jones & Ron Wessel

The Waratah Rugby club was originally formed in 1959 after several bank officers had a learned discussion in the Illawarra Leagues Club. The club began life as Combined Banks. In those days it was usual practice for the banks, there were more than 4 in those days, to transfer staff, particularly the young male staff, around the state to gain experience in many different circumstances. This meant that a “bankie” originally from Sydney may have ended up in Wollongong via Broken Hill, Narrabri and Goulburn. This arose the necessity to mingle amongst themselves as their school mates were probably elsewhere.


At the first formal meeting Max Cohen was elected President and Dick Dwyer treasurer. To obtain finance to buy jumpers etc. it was decided to write to all local bank managers making them vice presidents and managers of larger branches patrons. The initial playing season was 1960.

Runners Up
Under 17s
Under 11s, 13s & 15s
Under 11s & 19s
Under 17s
3rd Grade, Under 13s & 17s
Under 13s & 15s
Under 17s
1st Grade, Under 15s & 17s
Under 19s, 13s, 15s
1st & 3rd Grades
Under 13s
1st Grade, Under 14s
3rd Grade
3rd Grade

Roger Stretch, a district referee at the time, then undertook the unenviable task of showing 15 assorted bank clerks, solicitors clerks, insurance salesmen and the like the fundamentals of playing rugby. The first official game was on 2nd May 1960. 15 learned men, decked out in pillar box red jumpers with a white pound sign on the front, strode onto McCabe Park to face Port Surf. The result was a debacle, 69 to 0.

Later that year Harry Jardine, a local detective, took over as coach and we gained the use of the Police Boys (now PCYC) oval. With Harry came a few other members of the force and the size of the pack increased considerably. First scorers for the club were Max Moore with a try and Max Cohen with a penalty goal.


Our first win was against Metal Manufacturers 18 to 9 on 18th June. To cap our entry into the competition Alex Schubert had the dubious honour of being our first player sent off, on 25th June, and drew a week’s suspension for allegedly throwing a right cross. Ian Sinclaire was Waratah’s first representative player, gaining selection against Barbarians on 5th June 1960. In our initial season we won the wooden spoon.

President: Max Cohen; Coaches 1st Grade Roger Stretch/Harry Jardine

1961 saw a new president, Frank Issacs, treasurer Neville Cross and secretary Dick Dwyer. The rep players that year were Ian Sinclaire, Allan Head, Reg Reeves, Brian Heaney, John Atkinson, Terry Kelly and Paul Jones. Our worst defeat was at the hands of Kiama, 61 to 0, at Reid Park, Dapto. We finished 6th out of 9 teams with 6 points. In July the club’s first trip away was organised to Katoomba and we defeated Blue Mountains club 15 to 6.

President: Frank Issacs; Coaches, 1st Grade

This year saw the same hard working executive and the club met with mixed success. On the field John Steele gained rep honours and our best win was against Corrimal Surf, 14 to 6, and our worst loss was at the hands of Kiama, 23 to 3. We finished with 3 wins and a draw.

Presidnet: Frank Issacs; Coaches, 1st Grade


1963 saw us enter two teams. The spirit of the club was very high as after the 1st round John Steels and John Robson were selected to represent the district at Country Week. We played well without a lot of luck, being defeated by the top Port Surf side 13 to 11 and 5 to 0; University 13 to 8 and our worst defeat was by Vikings 35 to 3 (a young bloke by the name Les Hannigan scored 7 tries).

We had two Under 21 reps, C. Blackmore and J. Brown (not Joe, for those who know him). We finished the season with a 6-all draw with Kiama forcing them into a play-off for 4th place. Our reserve grade side finished 6th. John Steele prepared the ground work for the District’s injured players’ fund.

President: Frank Issacs; Coaches, 1st Grade     2nd Grade       


With increasing costs and following representations to the Illawarra Master Builders Club by Reg Reeves and Frank Issacs (now a life member) we sought sponsorship and so the Waratahs came into being.

To celebrate the formation of the new club we had a “shock” win (as the local press put it) over the 1963 minor premiers, Wollongong Central, with a score of 21 to 15. We continued our winning way with a 32 to 12 win over Corrimal. John Steele and Peter Head gained rep honours. To celebrate the new club’s success a trip away to Goulburn was arranged during September.

President: Frank Issacs; Coaches, 1st Grade      2nd Grade     


1965 was a mixed affair where we started poorly, then hit form for wins against Teachers College 21 to 16 and Vikings 12 to 9. It also contained a black spot when we forfeited a 1st grade game to Kiama on 19th June – the first and only time that a forfeit has occurred.

Geoff Brown and Allan Elliot gained rep honours. Kiama trounced us 44 to 0 and we were unlucky to be beaten by Teachers 16 to 14 and University 14 to 11.

The first grade ‘best and fairest player’ award went to Reg Piper, who went on to become the Anglican bishop of Wollongong. Unfortunately his connections couldn’t get us into the pointy end of the season.

President:       ; Coaches, 1st Grade     2nd Grade


This was the year we fielded a third grade side, which won 6 games in all. Our first grade started with a roar, defeating Tech 24 to 10, after which we showed mixed form, winning 5 games and losing several by narrow margins. Peter Head and Brian Hill gained rep honours.

President:      ; Coaches, 1st Grade     2nd Grade      3rd Grade


1967 was in a way a golden year, for it was the year that Dick Cox, our one and only Wallaby, played with us. He inspired the team to some good performances and taught some of the players a great deal about the game.

The club has always enjoyed a reputation for fair play and a good social life. We have had our share of ups and downs but our major problem seems to be getting younger players to join. We have for years fielded 3 grades but all too often this has only been because old stagers have played just that one more season and a host of players have had more than one game a day.

We regret that we can’t name all the hard working officials that kept the club afloat while the players did their bit, but to name a few there were Kerry Medway, Greg Harrison, Brian Baird, Chris Parry, Bruce Carr, Bryan Leo, Gavin Steele, Dave Johnson, Peter Tibbits, Graeme Dunn, Neil Tew, Mike Fraser, Geoff Thomas, Geoff Wells and a host of others. To those we have missed, we apologise.

President:      ; Coaches, 1st Grade      2nd Grade     3rd Grade


1968 saw our young 3rd grade side reach the grand-final. This was our first team to make a grand-final. At full time Waratahs and Woonona Surf were tied 6–all. In those days a try was worth only 3 points and, as the Tahs had scored the only try, under the present rules with tries worth 4 then 5 points, we would have been 1968 premiers. However, this was not to be. Another oddity of that time was that no replacements were allowed after half time and before that only for genuine injuries, as assessed by a doctor if one was available. Our full back, Mal Pearson, one of the most gifted players in the club, broke his collar bone just after half time and refused to come off and played on with a broken wing. Brave stuff indeed. At the changeover at full time Woonona, being more aware of the rules and having ample reserves, virtually changed their forward pack and ran out winners 17 to 6.

President:     ; Coaches, 1st Grade     2nd Grade     3rd Grade


In 1969 most of the young 3rd graders moved up to 2nd grade. For the second year in a row this young Waratahs side were in the semi-finals, this time in 2nd grade. In their minor semi they met virtually the same side as their opponents in the ’68 grand-final, now playing as Woonona Shamrocks. Unfortunately they were eliminated 16 to 6, which meant they were getting that much closer.

This year was Waratahs first organised end of season trip. Places visited were Brisbane, Surfers Paradise, Casino, Lismore and Newcastle. The boys played under light against Brisbane Easts Club and on the way home played at Lismore for a 6-6 draw.

President: George Tipper; Coaches, 1st Grade     2nd Grade     3rd Grade


Waratahs finished 6th in 1st grade, winning 6 games from 16. The 2nd grade boys were extremely unlucky in finishing only 1 point behind 4th placed Shoalhaven. They scored 194 points and conceded only 104. The 3rd grade side also won 6 games for the year.

President: George Tipper; Coaches, 1st Grade     2nd Grade     3rd Grade


Unfortunately this was not a great year for the club. The boys battled through without a great deal of luck or success. Some brave performances were put in by many players, but the fates were against us. Mick Twenslow (1st grade) showed a lot of ability in the last game against Kiama, winning nearly all the ball from tight play, but unfortunately to no avail, as the score favoured Kiama. Brian Baird, Ugo Cario and John McGoldrick were regular 1st graders, with Ron Brady capturing the best and fairest trophy.

President: Brian Baird; Coaches, 1st Grade        2nd Grade        3rd Grade


A successful year under captain/coach Mal Pearson, including a resounding 33 to 0 win over Weerona and a narrow 13 to 14 loss to eventual premiers Kiama. The lower grade coaches struggled under a lack of players and poor training attendances, but finished the season creditably.

President: Brian Baird; Coaches, 1st Grade Mal Pearson, 2nd Grade        3rd Grade


Under President Brian Baird and coach Peter Tibbits we again saw Waratahs 1st grade miss a semi-final berth by a few points. Graham Cowen represented the District and a young Mark Hotchkis started to show the form he displayed in later seasons. Mal Pearson had a fine season as captain in 1st grade, relieved of the pressure of captain/coach. The lower grades battled on, but were short of players and injuries to the 1st grade side further depleted their numbers.

President: Brian Baird; Coaches, 1st Grade Peter Tibbits, 2nd Grade Errol Milner, 3rd Grade John Naulty.


This year saw a new coach, Paul McCann, take over the reins of 1st grade. The 1st grade defeated Weerona, University and semi-finalists Tech during the year, but lost form against the lower clubs and finished in the middle of the pack. Gavin Steele coached 2nd grade and Dave Walters 3rd grade who were extremely unlucky to miss the semis. They defeated three of the four semi-finalists and were beaten only 8 to 3 by minor premiers Port Surf. Charlie Onus gained selection in NSW Country 1sts.

President: Chris Parry; Coaches, 1st Grade Paul McCann, 2nd Grade Gavin Steele, 3rd Grade Dave Walters.


All grades acquitted themselves very well in ’75, with 1st grade leaving their run a little too late to make the semis. After losing their first six games they won 9 out of the next 10 games to finish further up the ladder than any previous 1st XV. 2nds and 3rds finished 8th and 9th respectively, but were not disgraced.

President: Bruce Carr; Coaches, 1st Grade Paul McCann, 2nd Grade      3rd Grade Gavin Steele


Again, another unlucky year for the club. First grade ended up running 5th in the comp with a for and against record of 268 points for and 227 against, which reinforces the first statement. Seconds came in in 10th position and thirds in 9th.  Brave and committed efforts were in abundance due to a heavy injury toll which saw many players backing up in the lower grades, including Joe Browne and Gavin Steele each playing 23 games for the season and Bob Fleming, Dave Johnston and Mick Wilkins each playing 22. Mark Hotchkis, Ron Gordon, Graeme Collinson-Smith and Brian Silver all gained selection for Illawarra with Mark going on to represent NSW Country Seconds and Paul McCann selected as NSW Country 1sts coach.

President: Bryan Leo; Coaches, 1st Grade Paul McCann, 2nd Grade     3rd Grade


Again, so close and yet so far. First grade once again ran 5th in the comp, with seconds and thirds both finishing 9th. We came in in 6th place in the Club Championship. Unfortunately for first grade injuries and representative games seemed to fall when we needed our strongest side. First grade did the club proud by drawing with the top sides Vikings, Teachers and Kiama and defeating Tech 12 to 6. Ah, what might have been. The rep players for the year were Paul Murray, Martin Fraser, Graeme Collinson-Smith, Brian Silver and Mark Hotchkis, who all helped Illawarra to the final of Country Week. Our coach, Paul McCann, was selected as the NSW Country side for their Pacific tour. This year also saw the formation of our Under 18 side, after a great effort from Mick Wilkins and Brian Silver.

President: Neil Tew; Coaches, 1st Grade Paul McCann, 2nd Grade    3rd Grade


A very tough year indeed. The start of the season saw the loss of 20 players through work transfers and extended overseas holidays. This placed a great burden on the remaining players, but to everyone’s credit, not once did we forfeit a game in any of the three grades. Through all this there were still some highlights – the club had our first 3-grade-win against Camden, plus first grade wins over both Teachers and Bowral and we stretched both eventual grand-finalists, Shamrocks and Vikings, to narrow losses. The rep players were Mark Hotchkis, Paul Murray (8 games each) and Martin Fraser and Brian Warnock playing for Illawarra. Gavin Marshall became our first Illawarra Under 18 representative. First grade finished 9th, seconds 11th and thirds 9th. On a brighter note, 1978 saw the rise of what could have been, in different circumstances, a world beating musical act, to wit, the Red Petal Quartet.

President: Peter Boyd; Coaches, 1st Grade Paul Murray, 2nd Grade Mick Greenhalgh, 3rd Grade Mick Greenhalgh.


Once again we ended up in the middle of the comp after another testing year. One of the highlights(?) of the year was the game against Port Kembla which was called off with Waratahs leading 22 to 6. Apparently the locals did not take kindly to being beaten and a brawl erupted, with 2 players, one from each side, being sent off and our second grade coach being struck with an umbrella by an irate lady. Paul Murray captained the Illawarra team.

President: Peter Boyd; Coaches, 1st Grade Paul Murray, 2nd Grade Jim Pettit, 3rd Grade Mick Greenhalgh.


The years just don’t get any easier, with 19 games in the season and numbers dwindling. Many a player volunteered to double up to prevent any forfeits – a game approach. Firsts finished 12th, as did seconds, but third grade held up the banner, finishing 5th, with 150 points for and 62 against. The club celebrated our 21st birthday on 16th August at Wollongong Surf Club after a stirring 25 to 6 win over Bowral. Paul Murray again represented Illawarra and Country.

This year also saw us host the Trojans Rugby Club from Vancouver, Canada, and the Burnaby South Senior Secondary School team, The Burnaby South Rebels.  We played Shoalhaven on the Saturday, hosted a function after that game and on the Sunday an invitational Waratahs side played the visitors. An Illawarra Under 17 side opened the day against the Rebels, running out 38 to 8 winners, although it must be said that we were unaware of the standard and ages of the visitors. The invitees were Steve Streeter from Bowral also the Illawarra and Country Captain. Joe Bruin (Goulburn), Rory Ryan (Shamrocks) and John Rangatawai (Weerona) rounded out the numbers. A tougher game involved the seniors and, although the Waratahs were leading 7 to 4 at half time, the visitors scored a late try to snatch the game 10 to 7. Fine mementos prepared by Steve Creenaune, Keith Guy and Brian Warnock were exchanged and a large crowd enjoyed drinks before adjourning to the Oxford hotel for the after match and thence to the Illawarra Master Builders for more fun and frivolity. The Canadians departed the next day with hangovers, happy memories and large grins to continue their trip along the east coast to Brisbane before visiting Fiji and thence home.

The season ended with a trip away to Tasmania (poor unsuspecting fools). Among the travellers was Ron Romanovich, one of the touring Canadians who liked it here so much he extended his stay.

Waratahs celebrated their 21st birthday at the Wollongong Surf Club on the 16th of August after a stirring 25-6 win over Bowral.

President: Jim Pettit; Coaches, 1st Grade Paul Murray, 2nd Grade Mick Greenhalgh, 3rd Grade Ron Wessel.


Maybe not so bad after all. This was our most successful season for quite some time, highlighted by the appearance of the mighty 3rd Grade in the grand-final, losing only four games during the season proper. Unfortunately they couldn’t bring home the bacon – still, a mighty effort to get there. The other grades went better than of late, with the seconds finishing seventh and first grade ninth. The old story for firsts, losing a number of games by a handful of points. The second half of the season was certainly cheering with good wins over Bowral (6-3), Port Kembla (9-6), Weerona (30-4), Shamroks (last year’s premiers) (10-3) and a draw with eventual premiers Vikings (3-3) and a narrow loss to grand finalist Teachers College (8-6). Looking forward to season 1982.

This year also saw us make an effort to obtain our own playing ground with our own facilities. To this end it was decided to sell debentures of $100 units, which was quite successful. It culminated in the purchase of a property on Corrimal Street in Wollongong, but that’s a story for another day.

The annual ball was a raging success this year, the best for many a long year. There were about 250 people in attendance and, as the saying goes, a good time was had by all. The light fantastic was tripped into the wee small hours and the exhausted bar staff were very happy when time was called. The social spirit in the club is still as high as ever.

Back to the rugby for a moment, six Waratahs were selected in the Illawarra U/21s this year, which bodes well for the future.

President: Jim Pettit; Coaches, 1st Grade Paul Murray, 2nd Grade Mick Wilkins, 3rd Grade John Dawson.


The good results from last year were built upon this year, but unfortunately not getting into the semis. We did, however, manage to finish fifth in the club championship, which was the best result in a long, long time. Indeed, at one point it appeared we may figure in all three semi-finals. The loss of players through injury and travel took its toll and we failed to consolidate our early form. That we had our chance to make the semis is reflected in the fact that both first and second grades beat three of the four semi-finalists through the year. In the end first grade came sixth, seconds came fifth and the thirsty thirds also came in sixth. A huge difference this year was the first grade coach, Paul Dalton, who came to us from Parramatta Rugby Club and changed the thinking of many players.  His dedication and technical expertise rubbed off on most players, not just the first graders.

Off the field the year started early, with renovation work on the house in Corrimal Street getting under way just after New Year. There were many volunteers and various levels of manual dexterity (if you have ever seen a group of school teachers and lawyers trying to wield tools you will know what I mean). Still, all was good, well mostly, and we did manage to knock the place into some sort of order before the season started.

We also had a very good fund raising opportunity in delivering phone books. We were given an area in town and proceeded to split it into smaller zones and went to work from there. I can only say that we managed to get it done despite one organiser tearing out what little hair he had left and almost starting on his moustache. It was a good money spinner, but unfortunately Aust. Post changed their system after that year and all amateur groups lost that opportunity. Still, it was worth it if only for the wide eyed looks on the young guys’ faces as they peered inside one of the “friendly” houses in town. Priceless.

President: Jim Pettit; Coaches, 1st Grade Paul Dalton, 2nd Grade John Dawson, 3rd Grade John Hayward.


Despite, or perhaps because of, fielding 94 players this year, it was not one filled with glory for the club. First grade finished in ninth place, seconds in eleventh and thirds in fifth. We finished tenth out of thirteen clubs in the club championship. We did, however, field a fourth grade side in the short lived fourth grade comp and also an U/16 side, a sign of the juniors to come. This junior side is thanks to the excellent and untiring work done by Graeme Collinson-Smith and Peter Rowles. This is the foundation of the great strength in junior rugby that came to be synonymous with the Waratahs. Peter and Chris Leiner also did sterling work recruiting from Wollongong High. Next year the aim is to field U/14, U/16 and U/18 sides.

An interesting fund raising night was held at the Cabbage Tree Hotel in the form of a fashion parade, with some of the younger and slimmer players, and assorted young girl friends, acting as models for a professional show. It was a good night and raised a decent amount of ever needed money. The annual ball also went up market this year with the Monte Carlo Ballroom at the North Beach International (to later become the Novotel) as the venue. It is surprising how well some of these blokes scrub up.

President: Jim Pettit; 1st Grade Peter King, 2nd Grade Don Muir, 3rd Grade Jim Pettit, Under 16 Peter Rowles.


This has been a testing year for the club, both on the field and financially. The senior grades didn’t taste much success this year, with both first and second grades finishing last and thirds coming in seventh. There was much doubling/tripling up during the year, but we can take pride in the fact we did not forfeit a game, in fact the club has only ever forfeited one game in its history and that was back in 1965. The spirit lives and breathes. At least by the end of the year we were out of the red and back into the black thanks to the treasurer and the hard working fund raisers.

The highlight of the year was the U/18 side making the grand final, unfortunately to fall at that last hurdle. There is a large kernel of talent in this squad and we need to nurture it.

President: Gavin Steele; Coaches, 1st Grade Peter King, 2nd Grade Mick Wilkins, 3rd Grade Dick Ruse, Under 18 Paul Murray.


The bottom had been struck and we were on the way back up. With an enormous amount of work from a hard working committee the club started to rise from the ashes of 1984. At the AGM in late 1984 two new positions were created, Development Officers. These spots were filled by Don Muir and John Dawson, who took to the job with gusto. They advertised in New Zealand and South Africa for players willing to come and have a go in Oz. They recruited 2 players from each country, Nick Vatselios and Steve Schultz from NZ and Harold Clark from South Africa and Jim Committee from Zimbabwe. Unfortunately Harold could only join the club for the latter part of the year. All four proved to be players of great skill and they mixed well with the guys and girls already here. The first game of the season was against reigning premiers Kiama, a prospect that would normally fill you with dread after last year’s results. But a lot of work had been done in the pre-season and first grade came away with a very creditable 4-4 draw. A win the following week had hopes high, but a few wobbles came after that but by the sixth game things started to go right. We won that game and then followed a loss, a win, a draw and the six wins on the trot. The team finished in seventh spot, not bad for last year’s wooden spooners.

Second grade also had a good year, being beaten (9-12) in the preliminary final, finishing third. Again, a great effort to get up off the floor from last year and fight back. In the season proper we had five losses and thirteen wins. That is true heart and shows the spirit in the club. Thirds finished in ninth spot after many of their better players were promoted up the grades. We finished sixth out of thirteen in the club championships. The U/18s finished in fourth spot with a draw with Tech in the semi-final, dropping out by finishing lower on the comp table. Socially, things went along as usual with many hands helping to make it all come together.

President: Mick Wilkins; Coaches, 1st Grade Don Muir, 2nd Grade Henry Rarere, 3rd Grade John Dawson, Under 18 Dave James.


What a year. It finally all came together and we bagged our first ever first grade premiership. This was in no small part to the two English guest players we had, second rower John Morrison and fullback/five eighth Peter Williams. These two players lifted the players around them and the depth of their experience was invaluable to the team. John played first grade with the Bath club and represented England B. Peter hailed from the Orrel club up the north of England and captained England B and gained a couple of test caps. These two blokes were the start of a program to bring up and coming English players to the club for a season with two aims in mind – to boost our playing strength and build experience & skill from their input and secondly to give them a taste of rugby down under and the chance to play on drier, faster pitches. 2nd Grade had a reasonable year finishing in 6th spot, one point out of the finals series. They had 12 wins, 6 losses and one draw. 3rd Grade made the preliminary final after finishing in 5th spot, with 11 wins, 5 losses and 3 draws. The club finished 2nd in the club championship. The juniors fared well with Bill Barker’s Under 14s winning the premiership.

President: Mick Wilkins; Coaches, 1st Grade Bob Kerr, 2nd Grade     3rd Grade Don Muir, Under 19     Under 14 Bill Barker


After the party comes the hangover. First grade started the season with 4 straight losses and won only 9 games plus one draw in a season of twenty three games (including three Stirling Cup games as defending Illawarra premiers). Not a great season at all. Our guest player was a young and relatively unknown Jeremy Guscott, who later went on to represent England sixty five times, scoring 143 points, and gained eight British and Irish Lions caps. And we claim we taught him everything he knew. Seconds had a better season, bagging eleven wins and two draws. Unfortunately they didn’t make the semis. The Thirsty Thirds held up the reputation of the club with thirteen wins and one draw. They went on to draw the minor qualifying semi with Campbelltown and then also drawing the minor semi, but dropped out as the lower finisher through the competition proper.

The juniors were going strong by now and fourteen players were selected to play for Illawarra Under 13s in the Metropolitan championships, along with three in the Under 15s. The Under 13s won their premiership. Two players were selected for the Illawarra Under 16s for the NSW Country Championships played in Wellington NSW. In the Under 19 age group four players were selected for Illawarra, John Kinnear, Troy Phipps, Guy Anderson and Brian Colby. John was selected for the NSW Country Under 19s which went on to beat both the Sydney and ACT Under 19 sides. In the Under 21s two players were selected for Illawarra, Craig Askham and John Kinnear. John was also selected in the NSW Country Under 21 side. Mark Gallagher was selected for the South Coast CHS team for the Inter-regional championships in Newcastle. Congratulations to Graeme Collinson-Smith and his many helpers for a very successful year.

President: Mick Wilkins; Coaches, 1st Grade Bob Kerr, 2nd Grade Don Muir, 3rd Grade Graeme Parsons, Under 19 Paul Hiscox, Under 17      , Under 15 Brett Ramsay, Under 13 Bob Kerr.


Another good year for the club, with 1st Grade going down in the grand-final. 3rd Grade, unfortunately, also lost their grand-final. The pride of the club was upheld by Paul Hiscox’s Under 19s who won their grand-final. It was a good year for the club in the juniors as well. The Under 13s won the premiership, Under 17s made the semi-finals and the Under 15s lost their grand-final.

President: Mick Wilkins; Coaches, 1st Grade Bob Kerr, 2nd Grade     3rd Grade Graeme Parsons, Under 19 Paul Hiscox, Under 17      Under 15


1st grade had a successful year, reaching the grand-final in 1st Grade, with Steve Frost, one of our guest players, performing well in a beaten side. Our juniors again had a good season, with both the Under 17s and the Under 15s making their respective grand-finals. We also gained another Australian rep with Anthony Prior being selected for the Australian Under 17s.

President: Mick Wilkins; Coaches, 1st Grade Bob Kerr, 2nd Grade    3rd Grade   Under 19    Under 17    Under 15     Under 13


Under 19s made it to the major qualifying semi-final. Once again our juniors held the flag high. The Under 17s were grand-finalists, as were the Under 15s and the Under 13s were premiers. The club played host to junior teams from Auckland and Napier from New Zealand and Buenos Aires from Argentina. We also hosted the NSW Under 16 and Under 17 championships at a very wet Windang. Actually we were lucky to get a ground thanks to the assistance of Council. It was a very wet year indeed. An end of season trip to New Zealand was organised for junior players where they accredited themselves well.

President: Mick Wilkins; Coaches, 1st Grade Bob Kerr/Paul Hiscox, 2nd Grade    3r d Grade    Under 19    Under 17 Don Muir, Under 15 Tony Naulty, Under 13 Tony Naulty.


In an otherwise ordinary year the club did manage 3 premierships, in 3rd Grade, Under 17s and Under 13s. Rob Maksimovic gained selection in the NSW Under 17s. Under 19s made the minor preliminary semi-final.

President: Mick Wilkins; Coaches, 1st Grade Paul Hiscox, 2nd Grade    3rd Grade Colin Steele/Paul Klein, Under 19, Under 17 Don Muir, Under 15    Under 13 Caly Muir.


A disappointing year in grade, but a great year for the juniors. 1st Grade finished one off the bottom, 2nd Grade 3 off the bottom and3rd Grade 4 off the bottom. Another Australian rep was chosen, with Reece Bratton being selected in the Australian Under 17s. Josh Marley was also selected for NSW Under 17s. The Under 19s were crowned premiers, as were the Under 11s. The Under 17s made the grand-final, the Under 15s reached the final and the Under 13s made the semi-finals. Two of our guest players, Ian Smith and Peter Jones were later selected to play for Scotland, with Ian captaining the side against the NSW Waratahs.

President: Rodney Horan; Coaches, 1st Grade Don Muir & Mark Perry, 2nd Grade Geoff Youll, 3rd Grade Tony Naulty, Under 19 Colin Steele, Under 17    Under 15 Simon Muir, Under 13    Under 11


The final year as a stand-alone club. Tragic. Despite the impending doom the club did reasonably well considering the lack of numbers. 1st Grade managed 8 wins to 10 losses, finishing 8th of 11 teams. 2nd Grade had a less successful year, with many players having to play 3rds before changing jumpers and running out for 2nd Grade, finishing with the wooden spoon. 3rd Grade had a better year, with 8 wins, 1 draw and 9 losses, finishing 6th out of 10, just one point away from the finals. Under 19s, once the pride and strength of the club, finished in 7th out of 10, with 7 wins and 11 losses. In the juniors the Under 11s made the grand-final, as did the Under 17s.

President: Ron Wessel; Coaches, 1st Grade Michael Venus/ Don Muir, 2nd Grade Geoff Youll, 3rd Grade   Under 19 Mick Smith

Waratah 2.PNG.png
bottom of page